Tuesday 18 September 2012

I love you London

I am leaving London for a little while. I'm not sure when I'll be back, but I know I will be. London has been the third love of my life, apart from my husband and baby, London has given me so many opportunities to fall in love, be in love and feel like a lover. I have had the worst fights with London, the most heated arguments and the worst of the silent treatment. I have cried, I have laughed, I have been angry because of her. Almost like a lusty lover, I have yearned to come back when I have been away, and I have always had the time of my life when I stayed. But as life moves on, you need to think about turning the page. And today, we are turning the page and heading back to my home town of Sydney. Sydney is glamourous, beautiful and full of promise. It is full of light, amazing people and the gorgeous beach. But despite all of my passion for Sydney, I know she will never come close to my great love, London. London with is cobbled alleyways, its maze like tube network, its sycophantic, gritty darkness. I love the way the sun sets in London, and I love what happens when the sun goes down. I love the friends that have loved me since the day I arrived, and those who I have met along the way. I cannot believe I am leaving my beautiful flat, our little love nest. I cannot help but shed a tear at the thought of all those sunny days spent on the Embankment, or the times I would stroll hand in hand with my husband down Portobello Market. I will miss the galleries, the parks, the madcap fashion and the "I don't give a f**k" attitude adopted by everyone from 5 year olds to 85 year olds. I will  miss the Christmas lights down Regent Street, and I will miss the endless stream of parties in Shoreditch. London is the centre of the universe (sorry New York), and it will always be the greatest love of my life.






No comments:

Post a Comment